Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My Latest Read: "Triumph" by Carolyn Jessop

In May, my book club read "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop-a former member of the FLDS cult and the 5th wife of Merril Jessop, a high ranking leader in the cult.  "Escape" is the story of her life living in this polygamy community and then later finding the courage to escape with all of her eight children in tow.  I love reading about true stories.  This is definitely a book that will put you on edge as you read about the abuse and obstacles she endured and eventually overcome.  I finished it over a weekend- because it was giving me anxiety.  I couldn't wait to see how her story ended.

Last night, I finished "Triumph" by Carolyn Jessop- the sequel to "Escape".  In this book, she addresses the raid on the YFZ Ranch in El Dorado, TX.  She discusses at length the problems that UT, AZ, and TX face in trying to fight and prosecute the FLDS church.  It was disturbing to read about the abuse and neglect so many of these women and children have suffered.  It amazes me that we basically have our own little "Taliban" here on our US soil and we haven't been very successful in fighting it.  The FLDS are the largest polygamist cult and they also seem to be the most severe in their beliefs and practices.

In the second part of her book, Carolyn reflects back on the moments in her life that were the stepping stones that lead to her eventual escape from the FLDS.  Basically she answers the question, "What made me so different from all the other women in my religion?".  She shares more details and stories of her life in the cult.  Her overall message seems to be that it takes years to break free from the mind control of the FLDS.  But, little by little she was able to break free and overcome.  She also gives you an update on all of her children-whom you come to adore in reading both of these books.

I enjoyed reading both of these books.  More than anything it made me appreciate my role as a mother.  Carolyn was unable to show affection for her children while living in the cult-no praise, no hugging or kissing them.  So needless to say, I've been taking a few extra minutes here and there to savor the time I have with my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment